Student Behavioral Health Services
Student Behavioral Health Services
MAPS continues to make every effort to provide the best learning environment for our students, but we also recognize that students have difficulty reporting their conflicts and understanding how to manage their stressors and traumas.
MAPS program for Student Behavioral Health Services, works in conjunction with Northwest Michigan Health Services Inc. and Centra Wellness to provide comprehensive resources for student medical and behavioral health services benefitting our students and families, while also supporting MAPS staff.
Let us know how we can help you.
“988” is the three-digit, nationwide phone number to connect directly to the 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline
Additional resources can also be found on our Mental Health Resources page linked below.
About Student Behavioral Health Services
Working with community agencies together, our Student Behavioral Health Services partners are providing improved crisis response education, support for teachers and students in the classroom, enhanced engagement with families and community members, and coordinated community services for students and their families. The intent of this program is to expand and enhance current services provided within the MAPS school system to impact positive student outcomes.
Our Student Behavioral Health Services team works in conjunction with professionals from Northwest Michigan Health Services Inc., Centra Wellness, and SafeNet to provide a full spectrum approach to the health and well being of our students. Together we will identify students that will benefit from an early start on an individualized behavior plan. Like our academic coaches, our team will be working in classrooms providing teacher support for students.
Funding for these positions were provided through allocations per pupil by the Michigan Legislature and the Michigan Department of Education through 31n and 31o funding for school-based mental health services.
We look forward to introducing our staff to the techniques to apply with students and are hopeful for the progress we can make with these supports to achieve academic success for all students.
To get started, simply submit a Request for Services and one of our team members will reach out to arrange for services.
MAPS Student Behavioral Health Services Team
Christopher Bigelow, Board Certified Behavioral Analyst, Licensed Profession Counselor – Director of Behavioral Health Services: firstname.lastname@example.org
Chris Eldredge, Limited Licensed Psychologist, Certified Advanced Alcohol & Drug Counselor – Team Psychologist: email@example.com
Jordan Johnson, Qualified Behavioral Health Professional, Team Behavior Analyst: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cecilia N. Lester, Limited Licensed Masters of Social Work – Team Social Worker: email@example.com
View MAPS Student Health Center Staff
Dr. Kathleen Behler, Medical Provider, Northwest Michigan Health Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
Christine Olen, Clinical Services Manager, Northwest Michigan Health Services, Inc, email@example.com
Cheryl Wolfram, Community Health Worker, Northwest Michigan Health Services, Inc, firstname.lastname@example.org
Derrick Martinez, LLMSW, Behavioral Health Specialist, Northwest Michigan Health Services, Inc, email@example.com
Alicia Harmon, Enabling Services Coordinator/Marketing, Northwest Michigan Health Services, Inc, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mikayla Bajtka, Patient Registration Specialist/Medical Assistant, Northwest Michigan Health Services, Inc,email@example.com
Your Student Behavioral Health Services Team
Board Certified Behavioral Analyst, Licensed Profession Counselor – Director of Behavioral Health Services
Christopher will be leading the team and working with staff and families to provide support and training in Trauma Informed & Applied Behavior Analysis techniques focused on impacting academic success.
Qualified Behavioral Health Professional, Team Behavior Analyst
Jordan will be working with identified students on developing emotional regulation for behaviors that are disruptive to their ability to learn, while also assisting families and staff with guidance and tools to help improve experiences in both classroom and at home.
C. Chris Eldredge
Limited Licensed Psychologist, Certified Advanced Alcohol & Drug Counselor – Team Psychologist
Chris will be assessing and working with identified students on individualized plans for addressing skills development, knowledge gaps, and behavior plans that support the needs of the student, as well as the needs of their families and staff.
Cecilia N. Lester
Limited Licensed Masters of Social Work – Team Social Worker
Cecilia will provide therapy for identified students that are challenged with emotional disruptors that create barriers to their success. She will also help to connect families and staff in the efforts to provide the support needed for the students.
How to Make a Referral
Where to Submit Request
- Chrome link on staff computers to referral page, list student name / grade / reason for referral, service requested (community resource vs. therapy)
- Chrome link on student computers (aged 14 + for behavioral health service and 12+ for medical confidential service) for self-referral
- Chrome links on website for parents to refer students
How to Submit Request
- Family, staff or student (if aged 14 + for behavioral health service and 12+ for medical confidential service) complete and sign consent and health history form
What Happens Next
- Our Services Coordinator will review referral, open case and assign staff member, and appointment will be scheduled
- Student will receive pass to attend appointment**
**Effort will be made to avoid scheduling during students most challenging courses, and to alternate appointments for different class times.
Health & Privacy
MAPS has entered into a Business Associate Agreement with NMHSI and Centra Wellness and agreed to follow the requirements of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), ensuring that all health information will be protected.
- HIPAA is different from FERPA – all identifiable information relating to health matters is private and protected.
- Staff must keep information confidential – including protecting written documents like the health history / consent form from unintentional disclosure, and protecting facts of students receiving healthcare (no discussing who is receiving therapy or for what reasons)
- Failure to protect Health Information can result and fines and prison terms.
Forms also available in Spanish. Anyone needing Spanish language forms can call the MAPS Student Health Center at 231-887-4801.
Student Behavioral Health Services
Tiers of Service
In Classroom Support & Intervention
Group Work and/or Centra Wellness Referral
One-on-One Support/Behavioral Health Referral
Types of Service
Assessment for Mental Health Therapy (Individual/Family/Group)
- Performed by Behavioral Health Therapists from MAPS and NMHSI. Billed to insurance.
- Confidentially available on a limited basis (12 visits) for students aged 14 + in accordance with the state Mental Health Code. No bill is sent.
Screening and Consultation
- Emergent review screening
- Consultation with staff
- Referrals to CentraWellness for enhanced services such as:
- Case Management
- Home Based Services for students/families with serious and/or chronic mental illness
- Referrals to community resources for family need by Community Health Worker:
- Insurance Assistance
- Food Resources, etc
- Referrals to Therapists working at MAPS schools through Services Coordinator
Staff & Organizational Partner Roles
- The Principal of each school building is the gatekeeper for student’s admission to Centra Wellness/SafeNet services
- Coordinator – Assists in behavioral health referrals within MAPS.
- Centra Wellness SafeNet Staff – Tracy Shimel (CWN) – Provides Prevention Services and liaison between home and school, partner with parents, teachers and students to promote positive life skills / parenting skills / social-emotional learning.
- Limited Licensed Masters of Social Work – Team Social Worker – Cecelia Lester – Cecilia will provide therapy for identified students that are challenged with emotional disruptors that create barriers to their success. She will also help to connect families and staff in the efforts to provide the support needed for the students.
Northwest Michigan Health Services (NMHSI)
- Community Health Worker – Cheryl Wolfram (NMHSI) – Assists students / families with scheduling and keeping appointments for mental health and health-related visits, connects families to community resources needed to address social determinants of health.
- Coordinator – Lori Bell (NMHSI), assists in coordination of health services as well as Behavioral Health for NMHSI clients. Each Coordinator processes required paperwork to open a case and assign referrals to Student Behavioral Health Services as appropriate; they will see to the day-to-day smooth operation of programs.
MAPS Behavioral Health Services Partners
Manistee Area Public Schools
MAPS continues to make every effort to provide the best learning environment for our students, but we also recognize that students have difficulty reporting their conflicts and understanding how to manage their stressors and traumas. Student Behavioral Health Services, through generous grant funding, has created opportunities to work in conjunction with community agencies to provide resources to create behavioral health outreach for our students and families, while also supporting MAPS staff.
Centra Wellness Network
Centra Wellness Network is the publicly funded Community Mental Health Service Provider for Manistee and Benzie Counties. In collaboration with providers and community partners, Centra Wellness Network serves more than 1,200 individuals annually. CWN administers the SafeNet programming available in the MAPS district, although not funded by the Student Behavioral Health Services grants, plays a critical role in student support.
Northwest Michigan Health Services, Inc.
Northwest Michigan Health Services is dedicated to providing quality healthcare through a wide range of health services to the people in our communities, always serving with dignity and compassion. NMHSI welcomes anyone seeking health care, regardless of their income, occupation, age, ethnicity, or country of origin. Since 1968, NMHSI has provided culturally appropriate primary medical and dental care, serving seven counties in northwest lower Michigan.
Manistee Intermediated School District
Located in Manistee County, the Manistee Intermediate School District is a regional service agency which provides instructional and administrative services to four public school districts, two public academies and two non-public schools. They serve the community by helping all learners reach their full potential. MISD partnered with MAPS to secure Michigan Department of Education funding for MAPS Behavioral Health Services programming.
The Michigan Health Endowment Fund works to improve the health and wellness of Michigan residents and reduce the cost of healthcare, with a special focus on children and seniors. The Michigan Health Endowment Fund Grant was awarded in October 2019 to Northwest Michigan Health Services, Inc. allowing the placement of a full-time behavioral health counselor in the MAPS district, along with a community health worker who will facilitate an integrated model to assure students also get connected to medical and oral health care.
Michigan Department of Education School Mental Health & Support Services Grant
MAPS Behavioral Health Services is funded in part by the Michigan department of Education 31n School Mental Health & Support Services grant. Awarded in August of 2019 through an effort with the Manistee Intermediate School District, this funding is to be used strategically to meet unmet local needs and fill gaps in mental health services within the MAPS district. This funding allows for a Master Level Clinical Social Worker to be hired to fill the behavioral health services role within the MAPS district. Centra Wellness Network will hire, provide education, support, and supervision for the full-time Clinical Social Worker serving at sites identified by the school.
Michigan Department of Health & Human Services
MDHHS is a department of State of Michigan that provides public assistance, child and family welfare services, and oversees health policy and management. Additionally, the MDHHS oversees Michigan’s child and adult protective services, foster care, adoptions, juvenile justice, domestic violence, and child support programs.