Become a Volunteer!
Manistee Area Public Schools has the fortune of being surrounded by a community supportive of student achievement. Our MAPS community, families, and friends have skills that are much needed in supporting our students throughout their educational journey. A team of dedicated volunteers that bring their desire to make a positive impact on the lives of our students is essential to their success.
Won’t you join us in becoming a volunteer?
We are always looking for helpers and we welcome you to reach out to our staff to learn more about how you can get involved in your MAPS community. Email us to learn more about how you can get involved, and what you can expect as a volunteer.
Thank you for supporting our Mariners!
Become a Volunteer
Under current school legislation and adopted MAPS School Board procedures, all school volunteers (mentors, classroom helpers, chaperones, etc.) need to go through an annual background check. We will be utilizing the state “ICHAT” system. All volunteers will need to submit their full name and date of birth to the office. Thank you for your cooperation. If you have any questions about this, please contact the office. Remember, not only is this the law, it is intended to keep our children safe.
Some of the Ways You Can Help
- Assist in the library
- Chaperone field trips, events, dances, etc.
- Help students by tutoring/reviewing skills (reading, math discovery)
- Organize a student club or group
- Assist in the lunchroom, gym, or playground
- Organize an intermural sport
- Organize a weekly recess activity (kickball, soccer, basketball, other team sport)
- Mentor a student
- Read to students
- Assist teachers in preparation of instructional materials
- Teach a craft or hobby
- Talk about your occupation
- Assist with concessions during events
- Share cultural and ethnic background and experiences
- Help in the school office
2022-2023 Meeting Schedule
MAPS Elementary ATP (Assembly for Teachers & Parents)
What is ATP?: ATP is our parent-teacher group for all of the MAPS Elementary buildings – Jefferson and Kennedy, grades Pre-K through 5.
Parents who become involved in their child’s education can make a positive difference.
What does ATP do?
We fundraise to help support our schools and students. We pay for field trips, school supplies, recess/playground equipment, books, staff appreciation activities, and more! We also organize many family events: Fall Carnival, Daddy-Daughter and Mother-Son nights, Holiday Caroling, Birthday Lunches, Book Fairs, and Santa Shop are some examples.
What are the objectives of the ATP?
The MAPS Elementary ATP (Assembly of Teachers & Parents), is a dedicated group parents that spearhead projects to benefit our students grades Pre-K through 5th. It is similar to a Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) only a little more prescriptive and based on committees, including:
- Learning at Home
- Decision Making
- Community Collaboration
ATP Points Tracker
Starting January 2019, ATP is starting a point tracker for volunteers!
How do I earn points?
- Every ATP event (popcorn day, slushy day, winter carnival, etc.) every 2 hours you volunteer, you earn 1 point.
- For showing up to our ATP meeting that’s once a month, you earn 1 point.
- For suggesting a friend to volunteer & they show up for at least 2 hours, you earn 1 point.
All the points you earn will be entered for a drawing. At the end of the year, we will choose two winners. We hope to have a ton of volunteers!